I am a PhD candidate in biological anthropology at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am interested in applying quantitative genetics theory to study morphological variation in the human body. Populations differ in their body proportions around the world, and these differences occur very early in life. I study how growth influences morphological variation in limb elements, and how different evolutionary forces affect that process.
I also have an interest in forensic anthropology. I interned with The New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) for a year and worked on excavating and identifying Somali Civil War victims with the Peruvian Forensic Anthropology Team (EPAF) in Somaliland for two field seasons. Part of my research examines how populations differ in growth patterns and how these differences can be applied to forensic settings. I currently work on forensic cases with Dr. Cris Hughes whenever possible.
I enjoy teaching and sharing knowledge with students. I have been a TA for Biological Anthropology (ANTH240), Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II (MCB244 and MCB246), Forensic Science (ANTH246), and Introduction to Anthropology (ANTH101). I also guest lectured for Human Biological Variation (ANTH241) and Biological Anthropology (ANTH240). Figuring out how to explain complex topics to students is a very rewarding experience to me. I believe students often bring in new perspectives which can improve my teaching abilities and help my research reach a wider audience.
- Growth and Development
- Quantitative Genetics
- Forensic Anthropology
- 2016 MA in Physical Anthropology, New York University
- 2013 MS in Forensic Medicine, National Taiwan University
- 2008 BS in Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnoloy, National Cheng-Kung University
Distinctions / Awards
- 2018 - List of Teachers Ranked Excellent (Spring 2018) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2018 - Pollitzer Student Travel Award - American Association of Physical Anthropologists
- 2017 - Summer Research Assistance Award - Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2019 - Dissertation Fieldwork Grant - Wenner-Gren Foundaion for Anthropological Research
- 2019 - Dissertation Travel Grant - Graduate College, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2018 - Conference Travel Fund - Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2017 - Conference Travel Fund - Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2016 - Meeting Travel Fund - Masters Program in Physical Anthropology, New York University