Mon/Tues 11am-1pm (via Zoom)
My background is in molecular biology with a strong focus on epigenetics and cancer biology. After completion of my degrees, I worked as a cellular biologist in the cancer drug discovery industry at Vanderbilt University in partnership with Boehringer Ingelheim to target an epigenetic protein implicated in leukogenesis. I came to UIUC to pursue a doctorate focusing on the embodiment of stress and trauma on health and immune function. I have interests in epigenetics, immune competency/evolution, public health, and severe infection.
How physical and psychological stress modulates the epigenetic regulation of immune function and contributes to worse outcomes from severe infections.
Sepsis, COVID-19, and plague.
B.S. in Biology from The University of the South
M.Sc. in Cancer Sciences from The University of Glasgow
- Wang F, Jeon K, Salovich JM, Macdonald JD, Alvarado J, Gogliotti RD, Phan J, Olejniczak ET, Sun Q, Wang S, Camper D, Yuh JP, Shaw JG, Sai J, Rossanese OW, Tansey WP, Stauffer SR, Fesik SW. 2018. Discovery of Potent 2-Aryl-6,7-dihydro-5H-pyrrolo[1,2-a]imidazoles as WDR5-WIN-Site Inhibitors Using Fragment-Based Methods and Structure-Based Design. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2018; 61(13):5623-5642.
- Aho ER, Wang J, Gogliotti RD, Howard GC, Phan J, Acharya P, Macdonald JD, Cheng K, Lorey SL, Lu B, Wenzel SA, Loshake AM, Alvarado J, Wang F, Shaw JG, Zhao B, Weissmiller AM, Thomas LR, Vakoc CR, Hall M, Hiebert SW, Liu Q, Stauffer SR, Fesik SW, Tansey WP. 2018. Displacement of WDR5 from Chromatin by a Pharmacological WIN Site Inhibitor with Picomolar Affinity. Cell Press. 2019; 26(11):2916-2928.
- Macdonald J, Chacón-Simon S, Han C, Wang F, Shaw JG, Howes JE, Sai J, Yuh J, Camper D, Alicie BM, Alvarado J, Nikhar S, Payne W, Aho ER, Bauer JA, Zhao B, Phan J, Thomas L, Rossanese OW, Tansey W, Waterson AG, Stauffer S, Fesik S. 2019. Discovery and optimization of salicylic acid-derived sulfonamide inhibitors of the WDR5:MYC protein-protein interaction. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2019; 62(24):11232-11259
- Tian J, Teuscher K, Aho ER, Avarado J, Mills J, Meyers K, Gogliotti R, Han C, Macdonald J, Sai J, Shaw JG, Sensintaffer J, Zhao B, Rietz T, Thomas L, Payne W, Moore W, Scott G, Kondo J, Inoue M, Coffey R, Tansey W, Stauffer S, Lee T, Fesik S. Discovery and Structure-Based Optimization of Potent and Selective WD repeat domain 5 (WDR5) Inhibitors Containing a Dihydroisoquinolinone Bicyclic Core. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2020; 63(2):656-675.
- Chacon-Simon S, Wang F, Thomas L, Phan J, Zhao B, Olejniczak E, Macdonal J, Shaw JG, Schlund C, Payne W, Creighton J, Stauffer S, Waterson A, Tansey W, Fesik S. Discovery of WD Repeat-Containing Protein 5 (WDR5)-MYC inhibitors using fragment-based methods and structure-based design. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Submitted.