Read more about this book here or at the University of Florida Press page for this book.
Christopher C. Fennell
- Historical archaeology, trans-Atlantic comparative studies, diaspora studies, legal anthropology
- Phd, University of Virginia, 2003. JD, Georgetown University, 1989. MA, University of Pennsylvania, 1986.
Distinctions / Awards
- Award for Distinguished Service 2012-2013, Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Gustave O. Arlt Award recipient, 2010, for outstanding contribution to scholarship in the humanities, awarded by the Council for Graduate Schools
- John L. Cotter Award recipient, 2009, for outstanding scholarly achievement in African diaspora studies, awarded by the Society for Historical Archaeology.
- President-elect, Illinois Archaeological Survey, 2016-2017
- University of Illinois, included in List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for eight courses; voted outstanding Anthropology Faculty member by the Undergraduate Anthropology Students Association.
- University Scholar, 2014-2017, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Archaeological and Historical Examination of a Nationalist Mythology of an Authentic Irish Past, 2013.
- Cultural Creativity, History & Heritage in Edgefield, South Carolina, 2013, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Humanities Council of South Carolina and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates, New Philadelphia Archaeology Project, 2008-2012
- Community Informatics Initiative, Civic Engagement among Descendant and Local Communities of New Philadelphia, 2008-2009
- Memory and Heart: Pasts and Presents of African American Communities, 2011, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Illinois Humanities Council, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Illinois General Assembly.
- New Philadelphia Archaeology and the Digital Archaeological Record, 2011, as Principal Investigator, awarded by the Digital Antiquity initiative.
- National Center for Preservation Training and Technology, Aerial Thermal Survey of New Philadelphia, 2008
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Faculty Fellowship, 2006-2007; among others.
- Anth 220, Introduction to Archaeology (Fall 2017)
- Anth 451, Archaeological Surveying (Fall 2017)
- Anth 453 & LA 454, Landscape Archaeology (Fall 2015)
- Anthropology and Law; Social Norms and Law; Racism and Social Science; Landscape Archaeology; Archaeological Surveying; and Historical Archaeology, among others. Follow "Visit Website" link at right for syllabi
- Archaeology Field School courses
- I am a faculty affiliate member of the UIUC Center for African Studies, the Department of African American Studies, the College of Law, and the Department of Landscape Architecture. I also serve as Visiting Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School.