Read more about this book here or at the University of Florida Press page for this book.
Christopher C. Fennell
- Historical archaeology, trans-Atlantic comparative studies, diaspora studies, legal anthropology
- Phd, University of Virginia, 2003. JD, Georgetown University, 1989. MA, University of Pennsylvania, 1986.
Distinctions / Awards
- Award for Distinguished Service 2012-2013, Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Gustave O. Arlt Award recipient, 2010, for outstanding contribution to scholarship in the humanities, awarded by the Council for Graduate Schools
- John L. Cotter Award recipient, 2009, for outstanding scholarly achievement in African diaspora studies, awarded by the Society for Historical Archaeology.
- President, Illinois Archaeological Survey, 2018-2019
- University of Illinois, included in List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for ten courses; voted outstanding Anthropology Faculty member by the Undergraduate Anthropology Students Association.
- University Scholar, 2014-2017, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Archaeological and Historical Examination of a Nationalist Mythology of an Authentic Irish Past, 2013.
- Cultural Creativity, History & Heritage in Edgefield, South Carolina, 2013, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Humanities Council of South Carolina and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates, New Philadelphia Archaeology Project, 2008-2012
- Community Informatics Initiative, Civic Engagement among Descendant and Local Communities of New Philadelphia, 2008-2009
- Memory and Heart: Pasts and Presents of African American Communities, 2011, as Project Director, supported by a grant from the Illinois Humanities Council, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Illinois General Assembly.
- New Philadelphia Archaeology and the Digital Archaeological Record, 2011, as Principal Investigator, awarded by the Digital Antiquity initiative.
- National Center for Preservation Training and Technology, Aerial Thermal Survey of New Philadelphia, 2008
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Faculty Fellowship, 2006-2007; among others.
- Anth 453 & LA 454, Landscape Archaeology (Fall 2018)
- Anth 220, Introduction to Archaeology (Fall 2018)
- Anthropology and Law; Social Norms and Law; Racism and Social Science; Landscape Archaeology; Archaeological Surveying; and Historical Archaeology, among others. Follow "Visit Website" link for syllabi
- I am a faculty affiliate of, and offer courses related to, the UIUC Center for African Studies, Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies, Department of African American Studies, College of Law, and Department of Landscape Architecture. I also serve as Visiting Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School.